Free Image Hosting
Wednesday, June 06, 2007
 
I love to knit in the car


Almost nothing makes me happier than knowing that the family is going on a road trip. It's so sweet to have both kids strapped (that is, restrained) in their seats, my husband driving, and me with nothing to do but knit. It's lovely. Now that so little of my time is my own, these moments of peace are rare and delicious.

Here's an example of how my standards have changed. A friend of mine was telling me about her honeymoon. She and her new husband took a trip to Hawaii, but on day one, after several hours of sunbathing, my friend was bitten by a spider. This alone sounds like a terrible way to begin one's honeymoon, but what followed was much worse. She developed giant hives over her whole body. She was rushed to a doctor, who instructed her to get daily adrenaline shots until the symptoms subsided. She was also told to stay out of the sun. The adrenaline caused her to tremble visibly and talk continuously and rapidly, much to the horror of her somewhat frightened new husband.

So while her husband enjoyed the beautiful beaches of Hawaii, she spent each day stripped naked on the hotel bed with the fan on full blast, trembling and murmuring to herself. To pass the time, she read book after book after book.

When I heard her story, all I could think of was how nice it sounded to be in a hotel room, alone, reading books.



Speaking of small pleasures, I got a pretty new barrette.

It was crafted by Chris and sadly since this picture was taken it has fallen prey to dismantling little hands and sits on my kitchen windowsill in two pieces...nothing a little hot glue won't fix. Isn't it cool?

My sad inattention to the lovely Surplice Lace Top KAL is no doubt frustrating to a small handful of you. I have not forgotten and I do plan to begin soon. Part of the delay has been due to diligent gauge swatching being done by Heather in an attempt to find the perfect substitute yarn to replace the gorgeous (but ouch!) Nashua Ecologie Cotton. I have several balls of Tahki Cotton Classic in ivory that I'm seriously considering. Mostly because it's free. Does anyone have yarn suggestions? I'd love to hear your ideas.

We are thinking of officially beginning the sweater next week. I promise something more official soon.

Are you tempted Mona?



Labels: ,

 
Comments:
Always tempted!
 
I have to say that while the spider bite sounds awful, I love the idea of reading books all day! :)

Roadtrips make me happy too! and knitting on roadtrips is THE best!
 
I got impatient and started. Am using SWTC soysilk Oasis. I ended up needing a #5 needle, not a #6. Have cast on and done the bottom edge and the first 3 repeats of the lace!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
Powered by Blogger

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

The earth laughs in flowers. ee cummings

inspiration

amy butler design
barefoot rooster
blather magather
b r o o k l y n t w e e d
dooce
elliphantom knits
fig and plum
free range kids
kiddley
hedgeblog
implosion explosion
karin's style blog
little birds
logan family adventures
lotta jansdotter
molly chicken
moonstitches (i love moonstitches!)
moopy & me
orangette
rare bird finds
red curves
scout's knitted swag
shiso mama
see eunny knit!
6.5 stitches
strangelittlemama
the flying pencil
the frayed knot
the panopticon
the purl bee
the small object
turkey feathers
whip up (i love whip up!)
wise craft
write, mama. write.
yarn harlot
yarnstorm

lookie!

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from baby finds a kazoo. Make your own badge here.


blah blah blah

August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / January 2009 /



Flickr
The Small Is Beautiful Manifesto


Free Image Hosting at allyoucanupload.com

Locations of visitors to this page