Free Image Hosting
Tuesday, June 26, 2007
 
Knee Highs for a Baby

I bought a skein of Lorna's Laces Shepherd sock yarn that looks like this:


It was meant, at first, to become a little fine-gauge baby hat. Then I got a mental flash of hand-knitted knee high socks on a baby. That, I thought, would surely be the cutest thing I have
ever seen. They would remind me a little of the Baby Legs I adore, except with so much more old-fashioned charm.

Haven't I seen hand-knitted baby knee highs on a rerun of my beloved Little House on the Prairie?

I have a baby in mind to knit them for, but my busy schedule may prohibit the knitting of little socks just now.
We shall see.

A little detail of current knitting sweetness:

I love Berocco Touche. It's soft and plump and drapes nicely. The colors are pretty and it's affordable. I will have to withhold details for now, as the little gem you see here has not
quite been gifted.

Thinking about Seattle

I've been savoring summer in Albuquerque, but as I approach the anniversary of last summer's vacation, I find myself longing for Seattle.

Here's what I'm thinking about:

  • Walking along Ballard Avenue eating a hot deli sandwich from the Other Coast Cafe.
  • Strolling through Discovery Park and feeling like I'm deep in the woods, right in the middle of the city.
  • Eating breakfast at Le Pichet.
  • Going to Port Townsend and drinking beer on a deck by the water.
  • Spending long, leisurely hours wandering through the best yarn shop in any city anywhere.
It's easy to miss Seattle in the summer. Yesterday, as I drove my two sweaty, lethargic kids across town in our small, oven-like car, I passed a thermometer that read 104 degrees. It's days like this that make me remember lying on the velvety lawn of my Seattle backyard, staring at the pale blue sky through a canopy of flowering Magnolia trees.

My longing has been intensified recently by the discovery of Orangette. Molly, the site's proprietress, writes so beautifully about Seattle that she makes me wish I was there.

There are plenty of things that I love about our city. Really. But I'm not thinking about those this week.

Alas, this summer, we won't be taking any big trips.

Instead. Our limited time and money is going toward improving things around the house. Over the past 3 months we have constructed the slowest fence in the history of fence construction. It's almost done, however, and we are so gratified to have done it ourselves. (With considerable help from dad. Thanks dad!).

Now we're shifting our energy to laying flagstone in the backyard, crafting a functional sandbox cover, and hanging strings of globe lights for late night get-togethers under the arbor.

Stay cool.

Labels: , ,

 
Comments:
Love the MOnica! It does feel so plump and delicious, just like some ripe summer berries. I think the fence looks great too. I will have to do a drive-by viewing ASAP.
 
that knitting looks so beautiful...looks like it might be the right wieght for the knit-a-long? Seatle sound a lovely place to be sleepless in...
 
I love Orangette, her food always looks so good. As for your very nice fence, slow and steady always wins the race.
 
I love the color of the yarn, it is beautiful. We spend every evening out in the backyard, it is so relaxing, enjoy yours.
 
I want to come to your evening party all lit up with lights. In fact I'm thinking of the picture of you laughing hysterically on a bench. I imagine I would see something like that at the party and would eagerly join in. Christine
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
Powered by Blogger

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

The earth laughs in flowers. ee cummings

inspiration

amy butler design
barefoot rooster
blather magather
b r o o k l y n t w e e d
dooce
elliphantom knits
fig and plum
free range kids
kiddley
hedgeblog
implosion explosion
karin's style blog
little birds
logan family adventures
lotta jansdotter
molly chicken
moonstitches (i love moonstitches!)
moopy & me
orangette
rare bird finds
red curves
scout's knitted swag
shiso mama
see eunny knit!
6.5 stitches
strangelittlemama
the flying pencil
the frayed knot
the panopticon
the purl bee
the small object
turkey feathers
whip up (i love whip up!)
wise craft
write, mama. write.
yarn harlot
yarnstorm

lookie!

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from baby finds a kazoo. Make your own badge here.


blah blah blah

August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / January 2009 /



Flickr
The Small Is Beautiful Manifesto


Free Image Hosting at allyoucanupload.com

Locations of visitors to this page